What is Pilates?
"Pilates is designed to give you suppleness,
natural grace, and skill that will be unmistakably
reflected in the way you walk, in the way you play,
and in the way you work."
- Joseph H. Pilates
The Pilates Method is an approach in mind & body integration that was created by Joseph Pilates in the 1920s. The fundamental principles focus on balance, concentration, control, centered awareness, fluid movements, and breath. Pilates enhances a core strength that increases flexibility, coordination and spacial awareness. The repertoire is performed as a mat class or on specialized equipment utilizing springs for resistance. Pilates engages the whole person, not just the muscles. For everybody from an athlete to mother, Pilates will develop and enhance stamina, posture, alignment & core strength for elite performance to everyday activities.
HOW IS THIS DONE?
The pilates method uses specifically designed equipment and floor exercises to promote uniform development of the body. This allows weaker muscles to develop instead of the body continuously relying on the stronger muscles to do the work. Pilates focuses on the core muscles first, specifically stomach, butt and back, in a sense, working the muscles from the inside out. This achieves and maintains a balanced aligned body.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF PILATES?
- Elongates muscles without building bulk.
- Slim problem areas, i.e., Hips, buttocks and thighs.
- Strengthens the back by building support in the abdominals.
- Increases flexibility while building strength.
- Improves posture, coordination, circulation and overall health.
- Lowers risk of injury by eliminating tension and stress on joints, back, and neck.
- Increases better range of motion.
- Promotes relaxation and a sense of well being.
WHO CAN BENEFIT FROM PILATES?
- People needing special consideration to injured and problem areas.
- Problem areas include back pain, scoliosis, shoulder issues, fibramyalgia etc.
- The super fit: athletes, dancers, and martial artists.
- Women who are pre and post-natal.
- Anyone wanting to shape and define their body.
POINTS OF INTEREST
In Pilates, every movement originates from the core, with a breath, and stays within a defined and safe range of motion.
Pilates equipment was created long before Nautilus equipment and has remained unchanged for 70 years. Joseph Pilates was definitely ahead of this time.
Joseph Pilates' guiding philosophy was his belief that the body must be exercised in its entirety to achieve good health. He had a profound reverence for the simplicity of movement and the mind body connection.
Joseph Pilates combined the breathing and meditation of yoga, the weight bearing aspects of weight training and the balancing elements of Tai Chi.
[back to top]